Skip to main content

Making My Rowenta Iron Sparkle Again

In the past month or so, I have done a lot of ironing. Typically, I don't do a lot of ironing unless I am working on a sewing project or if I have to do a quick touch-up on a blouse after it has been through the wash. I have a new project in the works, so I currently am ironing yards of fabric. I lost count after approximately 30 yards. Don't ask me why I was trying to keeping track anyways.

Yegads, what is that?!

As I was ironing some washed canvas, I looked down and noticed what looked to be a rust stain on the fabric. I checked the iron and the iron also had a stain on it. I never had any build-up on my iron before so I didn't know what was going on. My first reaction was that, somehow, my brand new Rowenta was rusting! After that initial gut reaction, I calmed down and did my research.

Turns out, build-up or stains can occur on your iron and that Rowenta makes a product to clean the faceplate. I went to Joann's the next day got the Rowenta ZD-110 (Joann's website calls it ZD-100, which is currently on sale for 25% off making it cheaper than Amazon for now).

Rowenta ZD-110 to the rescue!

I purchased the ZD-110 in the store and immediately went home to fix my iron. As you see, the ZD-110 worked wonders and removed the stain. Follow the package directions, and sometimes you have to repeat the cleaning procedure to remove the tough stains. I had to repeat it 3 times to get my iron clean again. Afterwards, I filled the reservoir with water, switched it to full steam and blasted the leftover residue out of the holes. Then I went back to ironing.

Ahhh, a shining iron. Looks like new again.

My new project is a 1560s - 1570s Venetian gown with the following image as my inspiration. I found it on Realm of Venus which is a wonderful site dedicated to Renaissance Italian clothing. Have a look and fall in love with portraits.


I am absolute love with this image. I am making the gown out of my stash and as few purchases as I can. I have decided to translate the garment into a merchant class garment so instead of silk or velvets, I'm making it in a summer weight wool. Stay tuned, same sewing time, same sewing channel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ottoman Empire Gomlek

I recently started joining the local Society for Creative Anarchism (SCA) group to meet up with like-minded individuals interested in historic costumes and research. There is an upcoming event with a middle eastern theme and I have nothing to wear! So of course that meant frantic research into what middle eastern costume I wanted to make, draft the patterns and begin work. I finally settled on Ottoman Empire (Turkish) costume consisting of shalwar, gomlek, entari and caftan. I did quick and dirty research and The documentation that I found the most helpful are the following: https://serenesabiha.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/aripattern.pdf http://baronyofatenveldt.org/uploads/library/Ottoman%20Coat%20Handout%202011.pdf http://www.katjaorlova.com/FemaleTurkishGarb.pdf Linen gomlek before the added neckline facing. The first link has a great measurement chart that is helpful for keeping documentation of your measurements. I used the gomlek (or women's shirt) pattern and fo

Starting At The Beginning

A wise person once said that in order to tell a story, you start at the beginning, keep going until you get to the end, and then you stop. Pretty good piece of advice to keep in mind as I start my first blog post. When I was young, I learned to sew by watching my mother and my grandmother. For many years I only used those skills to replace missing buttons or fix torn seams. Then I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area and was taken to my first Renaissance Faire as part of a guild. I had such a great time that I knew I had to make my own historic costume. I ended up making something new almost every faire for the past 2 or 3 years now. I have become a costume addict! I love making costumes, planning new costumes, and the hunt for that absolutely perfect fabric. It is true that whoever dies with the biggest fabric stash wins. Several friends convinced me to write a blog about my costuming experience and I finally took the plunge. I look forward to sharing my experience with costume of

How Fitting

Ever since I read this post by Sue over at Sew Misunderstood, I knew I absolutely had  to make my own fitting pattern. This would solve all of my problems and would end my getting discouraged about how nothing ever fits my chest. It was late at night so I hurriedly ordered the pattern on Amazon and anxiously awaited it's arrival. And then it sat in my pattern collection, untouched because I still felt that I was missing some key information that would make the fitting process go smoothly. I should admit that at the time I bought the Butterick pattern B5628, I already owned at least 3 different books on fitting. Each time I purchased one of these books, I would devour the book. I read each one multiple times and then I would attempt to make a pattern. Let's just say that they did not go over too well. Then I would get discouraged and feel like I needed to avoid sewing until I could figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I found two Craftsy classes that gave me hope a