Skip to main content

The Dewey Decimal System

If there is one thing as a little girl that I wanted more than anything from a Disney movie was the library from the Beast's castle. The sight of all those books and the information that was just waiting for me to open the cover is still with me to this day. To put things into perspective here, I typically read a book a day... sometimes more if it is on the weekend.

Even as a technophile, I still love my books and collect books for my hobbies. Maybe someday if I can have a table sized screen where I can do multiple tasks at once while working on a costume, I might change my mind. For now, I do research online but most still comes from books that I either purchase or get from the library.

I wanted to share some of the books that I am using currently for historic costuming and general sewing references. As a friend recently pointed out to me, there are people who would like to take up sewing but don't know where to start. I'm lucky in that I was taught sewing at a young age from my mom and grandma. I also taught myself from reading other sewing blogs, sewing techniques in Threads magazine, and various sewing reference books.

These books can be picked up new, used at book sales or various websites like Amazon or Abebooks, or found at various libraries. Colleges and universities have access to amazing books that just cannot be found anywhere else sometimes. I hope you check them out as a resource.

General Sewing References
- The Dressmaker's Technique Bible by Lorna Knight: techniques for various seams, zippers, fabric manipulation. Great handy reference for me to flip through the seams when I blank on what a specific seam is called and how to do it.

- Designer Joi's Fashion Sewing Workshop by Joi Mahon : patternmaking and altering existing patterns, draping and fitting

- Vogue Sewing

- Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire B. Shaeffer

- The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques by Lynda Maynard

- Threads Sewing Guide and Threads Magazine: Threads magazine and the sewing guide are helpful resources because they cover both the basics and advanced techniques. The website is also helpful and many of their articles are available for free there.

Elizabethan/Tudor References
- The Modern Maker Vol 1 & 2 by Mathew Gnagy: Absolutely fantastic resource for sewing period clothing. I need to get back into Elizabethan clothing to make something from these books.

- The Tudor Tailor by Ninya Mikhalia and Jane Malcolm-Davies

- The Tudor Child by Jane Huggett and Ninya Mikhaila

- Patterns of Fashion: the cut and construction of clothes for men and women c 1560 -1620 by Janet Arnold

- Patterns of Fashion 4: the cut and construction of linen shirts, smocks, neckwear, headwear and accessories for men and women c1560 - 1620 by Janet Arnold

- The Cheapside Hoard London's Lost Jewels by Hazel Forsyth

- Treasures of the Royal Courts: Tudors, Stuarts & the Russian Tsars edited by Olga Dmitrieva and Tessa Murdoch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ottoman Empire Gomlek

I recently started joining the local Society for Creative Anarchism (SCA) group to meet up with like-minded individuals interested in historic costumes and research. There is an upcoming event with a middle eastern theme and I have nothing to wear! So of course that meant frantic research into what middle eastern costume I wanted to make, draft the patterns and begin work. I finally settled on Ottoman Empire (Turkish) costume consisting of shalwar, gomlek, entari and caftan. I did quick and dirty research and The documentation that I found the most helpful are the following: https://serenesabiha.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/aripattern.pdf http://baronyofatenveldt.org/uploads/library/Ottoman%20Coat%20Handout%202011.pdf http://www.katjaorlova.com/FemaleTurkishGarb.pdf Linen gomlek before the added neckline facing. The first link has a great measurement chart that is helpful for keeping documentation of your measurements. I used the gomlek (or women's shirt) pattern and fo

Starting At The Beginning

A wise person once said that in order to tell a story, you start at the beginning, keep going until you get to the end, and then you stop. Pretty good piece of advice to keep in mind as I start my first blog post. When I was young, I learned to sew by watching my mother and my grandmother. For many years I only used those skills to replace missing buttons or fix torn seams. Then I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area and was taken to my first Renaissance Faire as part of a guild. I had such a great time that I knew I had to make my own historic costume. I ended up making something new almost every faire for the past 2 or 3 years now. I have become a costume addict! I love making costumes, planning new costumes, and the hunt for that absolutely perfect fabric. It is true that whoever dies with the biggest fabric stash wins. Several friends convinced me to write a blog about my costuming experience and I finally took the plunge. I look forward to sharing my experience with costume of

How Fitting

Ever since I read this post by Sue over at Sew Misunderstood, I knew I absolutely had  to make my own fitting pattern. This would solve all of my problems and would end my getting discouraged about how nothing ever fits my chest. It was late at night so I hurriedly ordered the pattern on Amazon and anxiously awaited it's arrival. And then it sat in my pattern collection, untouched because I still felt that I was missing some key information that would make the fitting process go smoothly. I should admit that at the time I bought the Butterick pattern B5628, I already owned at least 3 different books on fitting. Each time I purchased one of these books, I would devour the book. I read each one multiple times and then I would attempt to make a pattern. Let's just say that they did not go over too well. Then I would get discouraged and feel like I needed to avoid sewing until I could figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I found two Craftsy classes that gave me hope a