Skip to main content

The Inspiration I Needed

I recently have been in a bit of funk trying to find the perfect dress for my wedding. I feel as if I looked through a million different websites, reviews, etc but just could not find a dress that felt like it was me. Needless to say this left me feeling pretty depressed and anxious about the whole situation.

As a seamstress in the back of my mind, there is always this little voice that says "ummm, Rachel, you *could* make your own wedding dress." It is a crazy voice that seems to think that I have nothing but time on my hands even though I am an Engineering student and just bought a new house. So of course when I first heard this little niggling whisper, I beat it back because I know that I don't have the time. Then as I got more and more discouraged that voice kept getting louder and more insistent that I really should make my own dress. Next I started doubting whether I was really capable of making my own wedding dress, if I had the skills, the time, the knowledge. The more I doubted myself, the more I felt depressed about both finding a dress and making my own. Then I decided that I would just put the whole wedding dress thing on the back burner for awhile and work on losing weight because maybe then I might just find a wedding dress that would fit.

Around the same time I realized that I was starting school again in a few weeks and I needed some more clothes. I found a few things at Torrid and at Macys, but they are mass produced clothes so they fit but not so great. I found myself craving for some really cute, uniquely made clothes that would actually fit me. So I began reading through my favorite sewing blogs and looking for some project inspiration. I found a few things that I want to try out like a circle skirt, and a detachable collar which I know will look awesome with my cardigan collection. Then I came across something that brightened my whole day.
I found Sew-Misunderstood written by Psycho Sue. She is a musician, seamstress, self-described fatty, and artist. I read every single one of her posts and would have watched all the videos too if I could find my headphones (don't want to wake the fiancee.) Her no-nonsense posts about how we should embrace ourselves and love who and what we are, really spoke to me. Not only did her projects inspire me to get my own mojo back but it brought back my desire to at least attempt my own wedding dress. I just have to say what an amazing woman she is and how jealous I am of her totally awesome fabric finds!
 
I took her advice and bought the Butterick Fitting Shell for women. Tip: I just bought mine on Amazon and it was a about $2.50 cheaper than on Butterick's website. I can't wait to start with a fitted sloper for my body instead of constantly trying to adjust each pattern up to my size and then trying to fit it. I caused myself way too many headaches doing it my crazy way. I look forward to posting about my experiences with the sloper pattern.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ottoman Empire Gomlek

I recently started joining the local Society for Creative Anarchism (SCA) group to meet up with like-minded individuals interested in historic costumes and research. There is an upcoming event with a middle eastern theme and I have nothing to wear! So of course that meant frantic research into what middle eastern costume I wanted to make, draft the patterns and begin work. I finally settled on Ottoman Empire (Turkish) costume consisting of shalwar, gomlek, entari and caftan. I did quick and dirty research and The documentation that I found the most helpful are the following: https://serenesabiha.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/aripattern.pdf http://baronyofatenveldt.org/uploads/library/Ottoman%20Coat%20Handout%202011.pdf http://www.katjaorlova.com/FemaleTurkishGarb.pdf Linen gomlek before the added neckline facing. The first link has a great measurement chart that is helpful for keeping documentation of your measurements. I used the gomlek (or women's shirt) pattern and fo...

Elizabethan High Necked Smock: Additional Sampling Required

After I went to bed last night, I admit to being plagued by a few doubts on how my smock was going to turn out. Creating a pattern on your own, even with some direction in mind, can be a little daunting. What added to my doubts was that I have very little linen to work with. If I make a mistake, I will have to order some more and then wait to work on my project. So in order to give myself a little confidence boost, I decided some additional samples were in order. Test samples also appeal to my engineering brain so I made them with pleasure. The first thing I wanted to do was to try out a worked bar tack at the bottom of the neck slit for my high necked smock. Elizabethans used these to reinforce the neck slit against tearing. As anyone who has torn open a bag of chips part way and then later has had the bag continue to rip open from the wear of hands reaching inside to grab chips, knows that the interior of a crack is a weak spot. Tailors and seamstresses in the Renaissance were awar...

Progress On The Handmade Smock

Making an entire garment by hand as a first project after I completed this last semester is definitely ambitious. I have the utmost respect for the men and women who made clothing by hand and those who still make a living making clothes for others. It takes lots of time and after a few hours there is not really a comfortable position to sit in and still do the work. As I stated in previous posts, I am learning new things by taking the time to do this by hand. I am learning how to work with linen which is a very slippery fabric! When I queried the Elizabethan Costuming group on Facebook, they quickly responded with many helpful suggestion for dealing with linen and keeping it still so that it could be cut straight. I am trying to work up to using the cut thread method. Something within me just cannot quite wrap my mind around cutting a thread in my fabric and drawing it out to make a straight line. I understand the process, I just need to practice it. I did end up pining the linen t...